Thursday, February 12, 2015

Urban Farming Externship-Week 6


Week 6- Community Garden

This week at the garden we prepared several of our beds for spring crop planting. We chose the beds that have the hoop covers because the weather is still unpredictable and calling for frost.

Here we have pictured are red clover that we planted as a cover crop to help fix the nitrogen in the soil. We harvested the lettuce and pulled up all the clover to work back into the beds.
 






Clover get tiny little dots on the roots which are bacteria that form nitrogen.(See photo on right) After the clover blooms that is when it is best to turn into the soil. because we are turning it in before the clover had a chance to bloom we are also going to be adding fertilizer.






Your some lettuce we harvested.

 


After we pulled up all the clover we then covered in felt the beds with fresh soil. Adding and mixing a pasteurize chicken manure slow release fertilizer . The directions call for 5 pounds per hundred square feet of a 40 pound bag. We used triple the amount because it is slow release.            
The soil and fertilizer as organic and we get it from Victory Gardens in Savannah   Savannah Victory Gardens

You can also follow them at                                                                                                                                                                   SavannahVictoryGardens/Facebook Page .








We will come back in two weeks to replant. Here are a few pictures of some cold weather peas we planted a few weeks ago that are sprouting. They are called Winter Peas or Whistler Peas. They were sprinkled in the beds and as you can see some taken root and they are so cute.
 


This is my final week of my externship for my Urban Farming Certification, I will still continue going to the community garden and keep sharing my experiences through this blog. This is been a wonderful experience. I want to thank Charles Morris of the Charles H Moore Center at Trustees Garden Trustees Garden  and The Charles H Morris Center at Trustees Garden/Facebook Page for opening his garden to the community. Thank you Kerry with Victory Gardens for your wealth of information; I've learned so much. Thanks to Paul, Garden Ambassador, you have been very helpful. I also want to thank Jennifer Cabe and Canyon Ranch Institute Canyon-Ranch-Institute/Facebook Page and Canyon Ranch Institute for the impact you are making in the lives of our community. A special thank you goes out to my instructor, Torrie Birkemeier at Southwest Institute of Healing Arts  SWIHA . God could not have led me to a better school; I have absolutely loved my experiences, the teachers and support I've received. I love my amazing classmates, Robin, I hope to meet you one day in person you have been an awesome partner for this past year (We did it only a few more weeks to go). Thank you and much love to all that read and follow me.                    ~Blessings & Love~                        


2 comments:

  1. It has been my pleasure to read your posts and follow along with your community involvement! I love seeing the pictures - especially the last post with the nodules on the clover roots. How fascinating! ..and you provided great information, too!

    I can submit your final grade to student services now that you have reached the 25 hour mark. Thanks for letting me share in this journey. Please feel free to reach out if you ever have questions or want a mentor! :)

    ~Torrie

    ReplyDelete